Commissioning Stained Glass Art
Fine custom stained glass takes significant thought, time and skill. From initially commissioning your stained glass art, to design choices and the finished product, the process is a truly collaborative experience for both the artisan and the owner.
Please take a moment to review our custom commission process below.
Guide to Commissioning Stained Glass Art
Consultation & Design
Once you contact us, we'll consult with you to assess basic design, size and budget. If we feel like we're a good fit for your needs, we'll progress to the formal design phase.
We require a $350 non-refundable design fee, which is applied toward the final price should you choose to proceed with the order.
We'll provide scale design options and will work with together on any revisions. Once we've agreed on a design and glass choices, we can give you a firm price quote and proceed to production. Whether you ultimately decide to proceed or not, the design drawings are yours to keep.
There are many factors that affect the price of stained glass windows. More complex designs take much longer to design and fabricate, glass choices can vary greatly in price, and larger windows require more materials and often more labor.
A starting point is $175/square foot for simple windows over four square feet. Here are some examples:
- A 2' x 2' window of a fairly uncomplicated design, fabricated with economical glass selections would come in at $700.
- A full-lite rectangular door panel of 10 square feet, fairly complicated in design with lots of small pieces of expensive glass and many curves, could come in at $3,000, or $300/square foot.
This is an example of a small $175/square foot design.
This window is in the $300/square foot range.
If you're pleased with the design, we will provide you with a firm quote. Your design fee will be applied as a credit.
- Quotes do not include shipping costs. Freight or shipping will be added to the final balance due at cost.
- Quotes do not include installation. The client is responsible for arranging installation with their contractor or carpenter, with whom I am happy to coordinate.
Once you've accepted the quote in writing, we require a 50% deposit via Paypal to commit production time to your project. We guarantee delivery within 12 weeks, although we can often complete the job in less time depending on our production schedule and the size of your job.
The remaining 50% balance is due upon shipment or delivery.
- Pickup or Delivery - Locals are welcome to pickup at the shop in west Georgia, or we can hand deliver your window within an hour of our shop if it's smaller than 4' x 8'. Any oversize or out-of-area delivery fees will have been included in your quote.
- Shipping - If your window is small enough to ship, crating and freight charges will be added to your remaining balance at the shipper's cost.
- Installation - We can coordinate delivery or shipment of your window(s) with your installing carpenter or contractor. We focus on glass art and prefer leaving installation to carpentry professionals. Carpenters rock!